Friday, June 18, 2010

Discussion #2: Web Page Design and Development

There are several important elements of designing a Website for teaching and learning. A cohesive and visually appealing layout is important because it will capture the user’s attention, but keep in mind that “less is more” as stated in the reading. Also, make sure the elements, such as the navigation menu of your site, are user-friendly. In the teaching and learning field, the most important consideration is the content, and the method of presenting the content. Make sure text is easy to read, and that the background doesn’t distract from readability. Also, you should use a variety of media (graphics, audio, video, etc.), but ensure that your use of such are relevant, and that they are compressed in common formats. Also, be mindful of copyrighted issues with your own work and work that you post.

The major components of a Web course would be cohesive design, site navigation, and content. As a course administrator I would spend a great deal on instructional design. I would make sure my design is simple, cohesive, and visually appealing. Too many times I have “walked away” from a site because it is eclectic and busy. Thus, I would ensure that my site grasps the viewer’s attention and maintains their attention during their visit. Also, I would ensure that the navigation of my site is user-friendly and that menus and sub-menus aren’t overwhelming. Again, the theme here is “simplistic.” Finally, I would ensure that my content is relevant, concise, and understandable. It would be up-to-date information and to the point, without wasting time and space on unwanted material. It will also be understandable, both in grammar structure and in visual appearance. Being a course website, I would make certain that the purpose and organization of the course are clearly communicated. Furthermore, I would promote student interaction, through discussion opportunities.

As for advice and suggestions: One thing I read in lecture notes that I felt was important is to have your site tested by different individuals using different Internet browsers. During this process, the testers may find errors or have their own suggestions for improvement. Also, be mindful of your audience. A Website geared for young children should be packaged much differently than one geared for graduate students. Finally, consider the amount of time you should spend in periodically revising and updating your site. When I designed a Website for our youth group several years ago, I “dropped the ball” when it came to site maintenance, and the site lost its appeal to our students. Therefore, I suggest taking the time to periodically evaluate your own site (as well as gain feedback from your site users), and make the necessary adjustments to your course or site.

1 comment:

  1. One thing that might be interesting is to do exactly what you said. "Have your site tested by different individuals... " Let your 3rd graders test it and find out what they like, what they don't like, how they think about the navigation differently than you. I think, even if you are doing a site for big people, a little bit of 3rd grader thinking could only help with the ease of use for your site.

    ReplyDelete