Thursday, July 22, 2010

Assignment #6: Webquest

Assignment 6 was to create a Webquest that would engage students in a problem-solving activity using Web-based and non Web-based resources. My first and biggest obstacle in designing my Webquest was deciding upon a topic. In undergraduate school, I vaguely remember creating an interactive PowerPoint Webquest on the Water Cycle, so I thought I would re-visit that topic. However, as you may remember from other posts, I will not be teaching science this year, and I wanted my project to be something that I could immediately utilize in the classroom. Therefore I asked myself to determine the Reading unit that tends gives my students the most trouble. Fables is a genre of text that is very symbolic and abstract, and thus difficult for a third grader to comprehend. So, I resolved to create my Webquest on Fables, in hopes to supplement the Reading unit on Fables next year.

The name of my creation is “Tell Me a Tale: A Fable Webquest” and is broken down to five lessons. Although this assignment was quite extensive from start to finish, I believe it was the most exciting of the semester! The lessons teach the students the parts of a fable, to compare and contrast fables, and to utilize the writing process to create a fable of their own. The final artifact will be a short PowerPoint presentation that will include the title of their original fable, the beginning, the middle, the end, and the moral lesson of the fable. I kept in mind that my audience is going to be a third grade classroom, so I broke down the project into small, collaborative tasks, and even created a PowerPoint template for them to use.

Like mentioned before, I had a blast on this assignment, partially because I know that using it next year in my classroom might really help the students to master the fable unit. I know that I would love to create more Webquests in the future, because they give the students a step-by-step process in which to complete a task. I learned that designing instruction integrated with technology can be challenging and fun at the same time, but will be rewarding in the end.

I do have one concern for using Webquests in my classroom, and that is having sufficient time in the computer lab. I only have one working student computer in my room, and therefore will have to reserve the laptop lab for completion of the assignment.

The following is a link to my Webquest: Tell me a Tale: A Fable Webquest or you may copy and paste this link into your browser: http://sites.google.com/site/fablewebquest/

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed previewing your WebQuest and I'm sure your students will enjoy completing this assignment. Your WebQuest is very elaborate and interesting. The picutures you chose are very vivid. The lessons are also well thought out and offer students and chance to get involved and learn a lot. Great Work !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The design and content of your webquest looks great! One of my most favorite activities that I did with the students had them re-write the fables and fairy tales * after reading the stinky cheese man of course :) * They summarized the tales and then I video recorded them. I'm telling you that I never laughed that hard as a teacher. Alternative school kids telling what they would've done as Cinderella or to Rumpelstiltskin was about the funniest thing I've ever heard. Good luck with your webquest... its going to be great!

    ReplyDelete